Making Conservatives Cringe Since 1977

I'm not Liberal, I'm paying attention.

11 November 2005

 

Goodbyes

The obituary reads, “James Holden, 78, of Skaneateles Falls, died Tuesday, Nov.1, 2005.” The story behind those words, as with every obituary, contains far more than any newspaper could tell. I feel, even as I write this, as if I am someone peering into one of many windows in a grand old house. Each window to a different room, each room with a door to a past I wasn’t a part of.

This past summer was hot, Hot, and Grandpa Holden’s pool was the spot. After several years abroad, Melessa and I, along with Alyssa and little Ella, took the opportunity to visit. Jim would come out on the deck and there would be his children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren, on any given sunny afternoon splashing and frolicking in the water. I had the opportunity to be reacquainted with my wife’s side of the family, Daniel, Jared and Jessica, and Jessica’s daughter Alexi. Melessa’s sister Sara and Chris were there. Melessa’s Grandpa and I traded war stories. Alyssa chased the stray kitties that Jim fed every day.

I hope someday that I will be as lucky as he was, with family all around.

The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it. -John Ruskin


|



<< Home

Archives

August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?