Making Conservatives Cringe Since 1977

I'm not Liberal, I'm paying attention.

21 November 2005

 

Thanksgiving with the Murtha's

So I'm headed east on the thruway, taking in the beauty of New York at about 95 MPH. At times lots of different things are running through my head. Other times, nothing. For the most part my mind meanders like the storied canal beside me. One of the things running through my head is a recent exchange over at my new addition to "the darkside," discriminations. In response to my chiding a particular person who'd made a typical anti-military remark:

That's nothing like Ol Cut and Run's proposal. Posted by: Patrick R. Sullivan

One "Les Nessman" responded:

"Wow. The Chickenhawk ad hominem comes out. How original. Very persuasive, Fred. Very mature."

"It's actually a good sign to have it used against you; it means the other side has given up intelligent argument and conceded defeat."

I was also think about a statement I'd seen on another right-wing blog, something to the effect that Liberals would define Lincoln as a chickenhawk. I always find it funny that the "Father of the Republican Party" was also the person respocible for many of the things that modern Republicans despise about government. A strong centralized Federal Government that trumps states rights, Income tax, proto-affirmative action.

. . . Anyways:

An ad hominem argument is a logical fallacy that involves replying to an argument or assertion by addressing the person presenting the argument or assertion rather than the argument itself or an argument pointing out an inconsistency between a view expressed by an individual and the remainder of his or her beliefs.

To use a Rovian expression, isn't someone who uses an "argumentum ad hominem," IE smearing an honored veteran like Rep. Murtha--instead of addressing the issue of formulating an exit strategy for Iraq--presenting themselves as "fair game?"

Git up there mule, here comes a lock, We'll make Rome about 6 o'clock One more trip and back we'll go, right back home to Buffalo.

|



<< Home

Archives

August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?